SENIOR LASER GRAPHIC USER INTERFACE ENGINEER – Crawley, West Sussex UK
We are currently seeking a Senior Laser Graphic User Interface Engineer to join our growing multi-disciplinary Operations team. This position will be based in Crawley.
The Senior Laser Graphic User Interface Engineer will work with a small team of engineers, scientists and technicians in the UK supporting the design and development of control systems in the production of the Company’s high power laser systems.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
The following key areas of responsibility describe the main elements of your role that you are expected to perform in the normal course of your duties:
- Design and develop software control systems for high power lasers and peripheral devices. This includes Windows based GUI development as well as embedded firmware.
- Sustain existing software including Windows based GUI and embedded firmware.
- Design and develop software for the testing of high power lasers and amplifiers.
- Software design aspects of key projects, managing the development programme and timescales through to the release.
- Creation of documentation to support the full engineering life-cycle, including requirements, design, test specification, risk assessment and user documentation.
- Maintain existing technology systems, in terms of maintenance and customer specific design requirements.
- Help to define quality systems and procedures, including document management and revision control.
- Provide reports of test results, development progress and timescales.
- Work in collaboration with other development staff providing guidance and direction for assigned projects.
- Collaborate with other companies to support the product development and commercialisation.
- Provide technical support to manufacturing and field service when required.
The following skills and attributes are required to adequately fulfill this role:
- BSc or higher with 5+ years of experience and able to demonstrate proficiency in Visual C++, C/C++ and C# programming. Competence in Java and VB in a Windows environment.
- Must have the experience in development of Graphic User Interface and control software for the high power Solid State Industrial lasers and machine control systems using Robotics.
- To be creative in design; organised and persuasive in development; disciplined and effective in delivery; and attentive and proactive in all your work.
- Maintaining and developing software used in the development and manufacture of industrial equipment and control systems.
- Industrial control systems design, both embedded and supervisory, including generalised I/O and hardware/software interfacing, PLCs, industrial PC or embedded computers.
- New product development and support of manufacturing test and automation activities.
- Essential for the role holder to be proficient in the use of MFC and Visual Studio. Competence in WPF, Java and VB in a Windows environment and MS Office are highly desirable.
- Knowledge of microcontroller and microprocessor programming and interfacing, like ARM and FPGA is a plus.
- Ability to specify and understand electronic hardware.
- Experience with manufacturing testing and automation programming
- To be knowledgeable of, and sympathetic to, the commercial and business aspects of any development/design ideas.
- Strong communication skills required for interaction within group, with customers, R&D, and sales colleagues.
- Able to implement and improve upon current programming practices in pursuit of department goals.
- Highly-developed organisational and critical thinking skills with a consistent record of anticipating problems and finding solutions, while exhibiting superior judgement and a balanced, realistic understanding of issues.
- Good understanding of the engineering life-cycle, as applied to electronics and software. Understanding of ISO processes is a benefit.
General Skills and Attributes Required to fulfil this role:
- To be self-motivated, ambitious and able to work under your own initiative without constant guidance and management.
- To be respectful of and responsive to the requirements and needs of other employees, both professionally and personally; and to demonstrate an ability to work within a team environment.
- To support and demonstrate a respectful and responsible attitude towards the Company, our rules and regulations, our culture, our objectives and our ambitions.
- The ability to convey the Company in the most professional manner and to support fully at all times the Company’s desire to be the best.
- To work in an organised, intelligent, structured and methodical way and to maintain accurate records of your activities.
- To remain resilient to failure and to continue to strive for success regardless of the hurdles that are placed in your path.
- To be determined to do the best job that you can; to take pride in everything you do; and to actively promote those attitudes in others.
- Excellent inter-personal, communication and presentation skills usable in written, telephone and face-to-face situations.
- To demonstrate a methodical and organised approach, coupled with an eye for detail and the ability to identify and investigate areas of inaccuracy or error, and the tenacity to see problems through to their resolution.
- The ability to apply an appropriate level of professionalism and discretion when dealing with sensitive or provocative issues.
- The ability to gain and maintain the confidence, trust and acceptance from all people, including customers and colleagues.
- The ability to learn quickly and establish a high degree of knowledge and expertise in your particular field.
- To demonstrate a consistent and sustained focus and commitment to achieving targets and timescales, despite setbacks, obstacles and other compromised situations.
- The ability to affect opinions and influence decisions through the use of persuasive, intelligent argument and innovative development/design ideas, whilst maintaining integrity and respect.
- Competitive salary;
- 25 days' annual leave plus bank holidays;
- Workplace pension scheme;
- Wellbeing cashback plan;
- Casual and creative work environment;
- Balanced work-life company culture.
If you believe that you have what it takes to flourish and succeed in this role, send your application letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Strictly no agencies please