PRINCIPAL/SENIOR ELECTRONICS AND SYSTEMS ENGINEER – Crawley, West Sussex UK
We are currently seeking a Principle / Senior Electronics and Systems Engineer to join our growing multi-disciplinary Operations team. This position will be based in Crawley reporting the Chief Engineer of Operations.
The Principle / Senior Electronics and Systems Engineer will work with a small team of engineers, scientists and technicians in the UK supporting the design and development of control systems in the production of the Company’s high power laser systems.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
The following key areas of responsibility describe the main elements of your role that you are expected to perform in the normal course of your duties:
- Design and develop control systems for high power diode pumped solid state lasers.
- Software and electronics design aspects of key projects, managing the development programme and timescales through to the release.
- Creation of documentation to support the full engineering lifecycle, including requirements, design, test specification, risk assessment and user documentation.
- Maintain existing technology systems, in terms of maintenance and customer specific design requirements.
- Help to define quality systems and procedures, including document management and revision control.
- Provide reports of test results, development progress and timescales.
- Work in collaboration with other development staff providing guidance and direction for assigned projects.
- Collaborate with other companies to support the product development and commercialisation.
- Identify and develop vendors providing components and services.
- Provide technical support to manufacturing and field service when required.
The following skills and attributes are required to adequately fulfill this role:
- BSc or higher with 10+ years of experience
- To be creative in design; organised and persuasive in development; disciplined and effective in delivery; and attentive and proactive in all of your work.
- To be knowledgeable of, and sympathetic to, the commercial and business aspects of any development/design ideas.
- To have gained and be able to demonstrate experience in:
- industrial control systems design, both embedded and supervisory, including generalised I/O and hardware/software interfacing, PLCs, industrial PC or embedded computers;
- embedded (microcontroller & CPLD/FPGA) solution design;
- general analogue and digital electronics design from DC to 1GHz;
- safety and EMC certification, e.g. CE, UL, FCC;
- design of systems involving high power switch-mode PSUs or high power RF generators;
- software design techniques such as UML, OOD, Yourdon.
- To possess good ‘C’ programming skills, and competence in high-level modern languages, such as C++, Java, and VB in a Windows environment, as well as proficient use of Visual Studio and MS Office.
- Knowledge of microcontroller and microprocessor programming and interfacing, like ARM and FPGA is highly advantageous.
- Understanding of CAN bus, Profinet and Profibus protocols is advantageous.
- Experience with manufacturing testing and automation programming.
- The ability to develop Windows based GUI’s for Laser systems.
- Strong communication skills required for interaction within group, with customers, R&D, and sales colleagues.
- The ability to implement and improve upon current programming practices in pursuit of department goals.
- Highly-developed organisational and critical thinking skills with a consistent record of anticipating problems and finding solutions, while exhibiting superior judgment and a balanced, realistic understanding of issues.
- A good understanding of the engineering lifecycle, as applied to electronics and software. Understanding of ISO processes is a benefit
- The ability to present technical and management reports to a varied audience.
- Competitive salary;
- 25 days' annual leave plus bank holidays;
- Workplace pension scheme;
- Wellbeing cashback plan;
- Casual and creative work environment;
- Balanced work-life company culture.
If you believe that you have what it takes to flourish and succeed in this role, send your application letter and CV to email@example.com
*Strictly no agencies please